The question of when the Sales and Service Tax (SST) will be implemented to replace the Goods and Services Tax (GST) has finally been answered.
On Wednesday, our Prime Minister Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad held a press conference after the weekly Cabinet meeting.
Tun Mahathir made a few announcements and highlighted some key points about the changes that will come into effect very soon.
According to the New Straits Times
, the government has decided that they will:
- Introduce SST starting from 1 September 2018.
- Air the 2018 FIFA World Cup live on RTM.
- Give out 50% discount for all tolls two days prior to Hari Raya Aidilfitri.
- Cancel the Kuala Lumpur - Singapore High-Speed Rail (HSR) project.
- Move the PERMATA programme under the Education Ministry.
- Continue paying BR1M under a different name and the next payment is on 6 June.
- Set up Tabung Harapan Malaysia so that Malaysians can help donate to help the country’s finances.
- Consider the appeal on Pulau Batu Puteh / Pedra Branca decision by the previous government.
- Form a new group of ulama and knowledgeable people to discuss JAKIM’s current role.
Well guys, we heard a lot of companies that are doing some crazy post-GST abolishment sales on clothing, cars, electronics, etc. following the temporary tax ‘holiday’ before SST is introduced.
Better grab this chance to buy all the things you’ve wanted while you can!