Kuala Lumpur mayor, Datuk Seri Mohd Amin Nordin Abdul Aziz, has announced today that the iconic Dataran Merdeka will be off limits to both Bersih and Red Shirt supporters during their rally this November 19. The statement comes after Bersih’s chairman Maria Chin Abdullah’s announcement to hold the rally at the popular tourist landmark.
Mohd Amin also added that both groups’ applications to hold the protest will not be approved. He told The Star
that the reason behind the rejection was “the same” as the past Bersih rallies and did not elaborate further.
However, preventive steps will be taken although a clear ban has been issued. "Police and DBKL will control and set up barricade, we will cooperate with the police," he told Malay Mail Online
Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar said in a statement that he has yet to receive any application for the rally but was later rebutted
by Maria Chin. Maria said they have previously submitted applications and notices to hold the Bersih 2, 3, and 4 rallies. The polls reform group then confirmed that they have submitted a 10-day rally notice in accordance to the Peaceful Assembly Act. The documents were sent to the police at the Bukit Aman, Kuala Lumpur, Brickfields and Dang Wangi stations.