You know what they say, breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
The government did a pretty good thing last year when they announced that they will be providing free breakfast
for school kids.
...but now, with a catch.
Only for those eligible
According to a report by The New Straits Times
, Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad, who is also the acting Education Minister, says that the government will still implement the free breakfast for primary school children scheme.
However, it is only eligible for needy and less fortunate students.
Tun M told the daily that the government wants to focus on the less fortunate because the students from a rich family...don't deserve free breakfast?
“Giving breakfast to all means that those who have money, who are rich, who eat at home, get it too. That’s not fair.
“We will continue the programme that we have right now, focusing on those who can’t afford it,” he was quoted as saying.
The free breakfast scheme will reportedly kick off next Monday (20 January).
Last August, the Education Ministry announced that primary school students will be served free breakfast starting this month.
This move, the Education Ministry said, is part of the ministry's initiative to ensure that school children had access to nutritious food.
The free breakfast scheme was applauded by many, but we can't help but feel that this type of segregation is a step back for the Malaysian government.
Several countries in the world - namely Finland, Sweden, India and even Estonia - provide free school meals to all pupils in compulsory education, regardless of their background and ability to pay.
However, there are some high-income countries that apply the income-based criteria when it comes to free school meals.
What do you guys think of this move? Do you think it's justifiable? Sound off in the comment section below.