, just solely based on the trailer, seems like a fun music-filled animated film with adorable animals belting out your favourite tunes from popular artists. It’s set to make all your karaoke dreams come true with the addition of enthusiastic pigs in leotards, butt-shaking rabbits and a porcupine named Ash voiced by Hollywood bombshell, Scarlett Johansson, who rocks out to numerous upbeat tunes in the movie.
It’s the film Fame
and TV series Glee
spun together by film production company Illumination, but with animated animals. Illumination has captivated audiences worldwide with beloved hits like Despicable Me
and Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax
. This holiday season, SiNG
is s film set to win hearts with highly relatable characters, heart and humour.
The film takes place in a world populated by anthropomorphic animals and revolves around a koala named Buster Moon (Matthew McConaughey), who must put on one big spectacular show to keep his theatre from closing down. To do so, he holds a singing contest open to the public, and the whole town shows up to audition for a role in the show. It’s basically a 'backstage musical' mixed with The Voice
, as the contestants sing covers of popular songs.
Here are 10 reasons to head to the cinema this holiday season to watch SING:
1. The film showcases many popular songs including Eminem’s “Sing for the Moment” – which samples Aerosmith’s “Dream On” and is played over the second half of the trailer.
2. Scarlett Johansson serves as the voice of Ash, a love-sick teen porcupine rocker who transforms into a badass performer!
3. Creatures big and small get up on stage belting out a sequence of throwback pop, R&B and hip-hop songs that will make even the most basic music fan giddy.
4. This scene, where a bow-tie wearing snail and a bull car-karaoke to “All I Do is Win”.
5. You get to see Matthew McConaughey voice a koala named Buster Moon, who organises an American Idol
-style competition! Who would have thought the Hollywood hunk would make such an adorable marsupial.
Image: Hollywood Spy
6. This cute sight of the bunnies shaking their tails to Nicki Minaj's "Anaconda".
7. You get to see a pig in a leotard shake and shimmy to Lady Gaga’s “Bad Romance”.
8. It features more than 65 hit songs!
9. Academy Award winner Reese Witherspoon plays a pig named Rosita, who is run ragged tending a litter of 25 piglets. A young gangster gorilla, Johnny (played by Taron Egerton) looking to break free of his family’s felonies. Jennifer Hudson and Tori Kelly voice two of the characters in SING
and they belt out some powerhouse tunes. Did we name enough talented Hollywood stars yet?
10. Finally, it's a major cuteness overload!
pulls out all the stops. It is sure to produce pure, sappy joy with a string of air-punching, applause-coaxing performances from nearly every main character as they put on a show in a nearly derelict theater with a soundtrack album that is filled with crowd-pleasing tunes. It may appear as corny as a syrup tank but it works, and it will undoubtedly ensure enthusiastic enough word-of-mouth to keep this in cinemas long into 2017.
With a stellar cast on hand (even supporting and minor parts are voiced by the likes of Nick Offerman, Leslie Jones and John C Reilly, with singing from the likes of Jennifer Hudson), it’s no surprise that SING
is a treat for both the ears and eyes. Apparently, the cast all sang the songs themselves, with impressive results. So there’s a cute gorilla singing Elton John, a porcupine singing Carly Rae Jepsen, a happy pig dancing to Taylor Swift and an elephant grooving to Stevie Wonder. What’s not to like?
Catch SING and its star-studded cast as they make their way onto the silver screen this December 8!